God Speaks through Coffee Cups

If you have tried sending us a Christmas card in the past, chances are it was returned to you. I apologize for having a very inconsistent address. We have after all, moved seven times in the past four years (yes, you read that correctly.) The good news is, we are actively looking to settle down, and plant roots (now mind you, "planting roots" for the Huxter's means we will be lucky to stay in one house for a whole decade.)

Our plan is to move to Asheville in August of 2016. Brad and I have talked about a mountain dream house for years. On top of our wish list is a guest house (imagine a quaint cabin.) We have always thought of it as a quiet retreat for our family and friends.

Well recently, this guest house idea has evolved into something much greater. One day I was praying for vision and purpose for "the land" (this is how we affectionately refer to this dream), and God spoke to me through a coffee cup. Now, I am not crazy, I don't see talking coffee cups or anything...

Coffee cups from SoulScript and Naptime Diaries.  Photographs taken by: The Beautiful Mess






God often speaks to me through visuals. This is what I pictured: an old wooden kitchen cabinet, FULL of coffee cups (including the two you see above.) Through that vision I felt God say, "I am going to use every detail in the cabin for a purpose. I am going to speak to the people that stay there through coffee cups, through warm blankets, and through the peaceful surroundings. I am going to fill that space." Wow. Okay, God. Fill away.

If you read the last post about my birthday celebration, then this story is a great add-on to that sweet day...

Brad shared this vision with my friends, and said that gifts were not necessary, but that I would love an inspirational coffee cup to add to the cabin collection. Not only did they bring coffee cups, but one friend even brought a guest book for the cabin - so visitors can share their experience!

(I organize my thoughts best by using bullet points, hence my constant numbering of things.)
Here are 3 things that AMAZE me...

#1. That God can give vision through anything. Our eyes just have to be open.

#2. That my friends not only believe in this dream, but stand confidently beside us knowing that it is going to happen! I have said it before and I will say it again... The people you surround yourself with WILL change the course of your life. These amazing women that I had coffee with on Saturday... they are all world changers.

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Jonathan went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God. 1 Samuel 23:16


Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble. Proverbs 13:20

#3. This land, this dream house, this cabin... None of it exists! But we have faith that some day it will. And it will be used for a far greater purpose than we could imagine...

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. Hebrews 11:1


I know buying coffee cups may not seem like a big step, but we are in fact obeying God by doing this. We are putting our feet in the river.

‘When you reach the banks of the Jordan River, take a few steps into the river and stop there.’ Joshua 3:8 

I'm going to need a new blog post to dive into that one...

 

Comments

Popular Posts